Posted on March 5, 2013. Filed under: Children's Services, Disability |


Disabled children are those with disabilities defined by Section 5/6 of the Disabled Persons Act 1986.

They would generally be children attending special schools and receiving high or middle rates of Disability Living Allowance.

Usually, support services to the disabled child and their family aim to keep the child at home by providing home-based support. Where this is impractical, periodic breaks or respite services may be provided, limiting situations of children having to live apart from their families on a full time basis to a minimum.

In more complex cases, support may be enabled through residential services. Foster care, direct payments and residential services may be required.

Blue Badges: a child qualifies automatically for a Blue Badge if they are over two years old and either receive the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance or they are registered blind. They may also be eligible if they are more than two years old and either have a permanent and substantial disability which means they cannot walk, or which makes walking very difficult. A parent of a child who is less than two years old may apply for a badge for their child if the child has a specific medical condition which means that they must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty; and/or they need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital.

Policies and legislation

Useful links

Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: